Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas
Chris Thomas

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

To Know Jehovah-Rapha

It was the phone call that I had been waiting for.  The day began with my heart deep in prayer.  It was just months before that I received the disturbing news that my step father had lymphoma in his throat. The unwelcome cancerous visitor had tread into our lives unexpectedly.  There were only two options: chemotherapy and prayer.  I could not do the chemotherapy, but I could pray.  My heart was in humble but fervent prayer.  On behalf of my stepfather, I knocked on the gates of Heaven and pleaded earnestly at the throne of grace.  My soul trembled patiently as I waited for God’s answer.  My stepfather who had undergone weeks of intense chemotherapy was to have an x-ray to check the progression of either the cancer or the chemotherapy.  Then the phone rang. 
A loving aunt, mother, and grandmother had suffered a massive aneurysm.  She was at the point of death.  The hope of recovery was slim and none.  The outlook was as bleak as it could be.  Word spread throughout the family and friends within the church.  Through the speed of internet, the prayers of many were now lifted on behalf of this saintly woman who helped to make a tremendous impact in my life.  She was my mother’s sister.  She gave me my first job.  On bended knees, I prayed.  It was not just the church, nor the town, but many throughout the state and the nation were now praying.  For each moment that passed, I waited for the news.
A young Christian couple had received the devastating news that no one wants to hear.  Their young child had cancer.  The road ahead looked depressing.  They could hear the words of the doctor, but they could not listen to what he had to say.  Instead, the eyes were drawn to their precious daughter who God had lovingly blessed them with.  Would God take away that which had been given to them.  The doctor began to spell out a plan of action for the wellness of their young daughter, but there was one that only they knew.  Pray.

And said, “If you diligently heed the voice of the LORD your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the LORD who heals you.” (Exodus 15:26).  Jehovah-Rapha, the Lord our Healer.  In a world of modern medical miracles, the power of healing still belongs to God.  It is a miracle I have witnessed throughout life.  I watched my mother who struggled with brain tumor long since recovered and continue her devout service to God as a writer, speaker, and leader among women.  I have seen her at the most unimagined physical low points now testifying of the undeniable mercy of her creator.  The phone call that I had waited for, came bearing the news that the cancer is in remission.  My aunt who was being prayed for by hundreds if not thousands, has long since left that deathbed and still remaining active at her husband’s side, in the church’s corridor, and for her Master’s kingdom.  That young couple has long left that doctor's office.  Grief and fear has since been replaced by joy and laughter.  Their young daughter, no longer a victim, became a victor of the alien sickness that invaded her body.  A look at her is a look at health and healing.  Jehovah-Rapha.  The Lord our healer, has made His healing power available to us in all areas of life.  The lame were made to walk.  The blind were made to see.  The lepers were made whole.  The heartbroken had their hearts pieced together again.  All at the mercy of their loving Savior.  God still brings healing to our situations.  Only He can heal the struggles and the troubles.  He still brings healing to our sicknesses.  On behalf of the praying saints, our Savior has reached down with His nail scarred hands and touched us in ways  that no medical professional is able.  Of course, He heals our souls.  Through the precious blood of the Lamb without spot or blemish, sin’s sick hold on our life will be broken free.  No longer held by the outcome of sin, we have now been healed by the hope of God.  The Bibles has given to us verses of hope that shows the healing power of God. 
O LORD my God, I cried out to You, and You healed me. (Psalm 30:2)

Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: who forgives all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from destruction, who crowns you with loving kindness and tender mercies, who satisfies your mouth with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. (Psalm 103:1-5)

Praise the LORD! For it is good to sing praises to our God; for it is pleasant, and praise is beautiful.  The LORD builds up Jerusalem; He gathers together the outcasts of Israel.  He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. (Psalm 147:1-3)

When your soul is hurting, when your body is struggling, when your situations seems dark, instead of relying upon the words of men, thrust yourself in the arms of Jehovah-Rapha, for He is able to heal you.  Look around and you for His healing is everywhere.  Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment