Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas
Chris Thomas

Thursday, December 8, 2011

I Am Rich

I am rich.  Richer beyond my wildest imagination.  That was the thought running through my mind one night during supper.  My wife sat across the table from me, while around the table sat my three children.  Their laughter filled the room. The angelic glow on their faces with a splash of smile lit the room that evening.  As I leaned back in the chair to let the digestive work begin on another delicious meal, I looked around our modest 3 bedroom house and wondered in awe at how rich I am.  My riches are not as the world defines it.  It is not material.  We do not have the most money, the fanciest of clothes, the elegant mansions or the flashiest jewels, but we do have the love of family, the greatness of our heritage, and the grace of God.  When you have nothing left but God, then you realize that God is more than enough, said Maude Roykin.  Over the past few months in my journey of faith as I have sought to rediscover God, I have learned that God has given me more than I need and continues to do so.  We live in that very evidence.  A brief look around will show you that evidence as well.  As I type this, I reflect back to the day when we were to close on this house.  We almost lost it.  Everything was going smoothly and my wife and I along with our 6 month old twin daughters were excited about the prospect of leaving the small 2 bedroom duplex just off the interstate.  It had served its purpose well for my wife and I, but now as a growing family, we had outgrown it.  We had prayed for God to provide us a dwelling place for our family and we had searched for several months until we decided on the one in Allerton.  It was the last place I wanted to be at.  Two days before we closed, we took one last tour of the house and had visions of each room and the purpose they will serve but in that office as we gathered around that large polished dark cherry stained table, those dreams were almost taken from us.  I held to my girls tightly and whispered a prayer.  The seller’s lawyer was making the process difficult.  The sellers themselves were looking to sell the house and travel 25 miles to close on another one and they too were about to have their dream crushed.  I prayed harder.  The seller’s lawyer recused himself from the room and after a sigh of relief around the room, the deal was made.  We were given keys.  We made the trip to our new home and placed the girls in what would be their playroom and to our amazement, they seemed so small in that big room.  God has enriched us with a place to live.  There sits a mini-van in our driveway.  One we almost were not able to get.  God enriched us.  Of course, there sits our two girls, ones we thought we would never have.  Eight months after their birth, my wife and I received the news that we now had another one on the way.  There was a room designated to be her office, it is now the bedroom of my son.  We had still had plenty of space to use for her office.  As I sat around that table, I realized, I am rich.  Everything I have and everything I need was given to me by God.  I am where I am and I am who I am because of the great riches available and found only in God.  God has made me rich.  I do not want what the world considers as rich, because only the riches that God can give is accompanied by joy, peace, and blessings. Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. (I Timothy 6:17).  It is amazing the efforts many will go through to gather the riches and the treasures of this world.  People will descend the deepest caves, dive to the deepest depths of the oceans, and disregard the respect of fellow man all for the glory of an earthly treasure.  Yet, the treasure of the unsearchable riches of Christ is only a heartbeat away.  It offers to us salvation.  In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace. (Ephesians 1:7)  It offers to us sustenance.  And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.  (Philippians 4:19)  It offers satisfaction. That their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love, and attaining to all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, both of the Father and of Christ. (Colossians 2:2).  None of these things can the riches of this world offer us.  Sure it can offer us sustenance, but only temporal sustenance.  In life we not only need temporal but spiritual as well.  Some says, but it can offer satisfaction.  But the satisfaction is also temporal and earthly riches only give you an unhealthy desire for more.  I am rich.  Listen to the laughter of our family.  Share in our love.  Experience the warmth and the gratitude of our home.  To do that is to see the riches that God has provided to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment