Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas
Chris Thomas

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Our twins: A Picture of God's Grace



We had a small party to celebrate our twin girls turning three on Friday, January 23.  I was feeling a bit nostalgic and began perusing the many pictures of our twins that we have accumulated in that short period of time.  Before we became pregnant, we tried for almost two years to have children.  At one point, my wife looked at me with tears in her eyes and in frustration blurted put, “Maybe God doesn’t want me to have children!” and then buried her face into my chest as I embraced her tightly to me.  As I held her tightly, I quietly pondered to myself, “Maybe God doesn’t think I deserve it”.  One night in a small church in eastern Illinois, we asked the pastor if he would pray over us.  We were out of options.  He called us forward and asked many of the members of the church to pray along with us and for us.  No one knew the reason, except for the pastor, April, and I.  We didn’t know what to do.  All we had was hope.  Hope that God heard us.  Hope that God will answer us.  We continued on with our life.  I was still working a full time job as well as in the teen ministry of the local church and April was busy with her large client base who were preparing for the last days of school and finalizing the plans for their trips.  One day approximately a month after the request for prayer, I received a text message while I was at work.  It was a picture.  I was stunned.  All the signs were there but we had been disappointed before.  This time there was no disappointment.  The pregnancy test revealed that she was pregnant.  I ran outside and joyfully screamed and shouted.  Yes, God did want her to have a baby.  Yes, God did think I deserve a child.  My past is far from picture perfect.  I have made many mistakes.  And now, I find myself on the receiving end of a miraculous gift that I never thought possible.  That is the picture of grace.  Grace is receiving a gift that we do not deserve.  A visit to the doctor confirmed that April was in fact pregnant.  The day before we were to live for a weeklong trip to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming and Mount Rushmore in South Dakota, April began having some complications.  We both entered panic mode.  After going to the doctor, I did the only thing that I knew to do.  I was not ready for this disappointment.  Not after we had been further than we have ever been.  As she came to get me to inform me of the progress, I noticed the stunned look on her face.  She handed me a piece of paper with a blurry image.  I did not know what to make of it.  After a few minutes, she pointed to a kidney bean shape image and said, “Baby A”.  Suddenly my paternal instincts kicked in and I cooed to the little image that she pointed out as “Baby A”.  I chuckled and laughed and cried.  She pointed to another kidney bean image and said, “And there is Baby B”.  Ready to coo to “Baby B”, the reality sunk in.  We are going to have 2.  I turned the volume of my hearing aid up and looked at her so that I can read her lips and understand what she really said.  My mouth dropped as I watched her lips form the word “twins”.  We were having twins.  All is well.  The grace of God was more than we could ever expect.  In the way that God has shown grace and forgiveness to the mistakes of our past when we ask for it, do we do the same for others?  Showing grace to others, even those who do not deserve it benefits us more than it does others.

Let your speech always be with grace… (Colossians 4:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment