Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas
Chris Thomas

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Unknown Future, Known God


Corrie Ten Boom says “Never trust an unknown future to a known God”.  Each day that I awake, I have to keep reminding myself that while I may not know what lies ahead, God does.  I am in a stage of life known as a transitional period.  It is the stage when a person earnestly seeks out God’s place or plan.  That is where I am.  Each day, my wife and I continuously pray for God to make His path clear for us.  It is not easy.  Through all of this, I have learned to be patient.  Rely on Him.  Trust Him.  God knows what is best on Him.  Being patient is letting God do His work and us trusting in His work.  This week, during our devotions, my wife and I have been coming to terms with understanding what faith really is.  Sometimes we get so caught up in talking about big faith that we underestimate a profound truth.  Jesus tells us that it takes faith the size of a mustard seed to move a mountain.  The profound truth is not the size of our faith but the size of the One we put our faith in.  How can we not believe that the same God who created the mountains cannot move them?  He put those mountains there, and they were placed there for a purpose.  Whatever obstacle is placed in our path has a sound reasoning for its existence.  Remember Romans 8:28?  You know?  The one that says “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose”?  Sometimes it is hard to see, but God is not in the business of having us to ask Him why.  When we are faced with those moments, we are simply to ask Him what.  They are there for a purpose.  James 1:2-4 says, “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing“.  When I looked up the word patient, I had to have a bit of a chuckle.  When you view the meaning of the word as a noun you will find it means:” a person who is under medical care or treatment.  The archaic definition for the noun is “a sufferer or a victim”.  Then there is the adjective version of the word which means: “bearing provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc., with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like”.  How often do we find ourselves as a patient in a waiting room not be patient?  Many times the lack of the adjective on my part is due in part to the long periods of waiting as a patient.  Whoever said the Christian life is easy is reading the wrong book.  Since His birth, our Master, our Savior faced one trial after another.  There was Herod who put a hit on His life by ordering all children under the age of 2 to be slaughtered.  Prior to beginning His earthly ministry He was tempted by Satan.  Of course, there is no secret of what He endured at the hands of His own creation days leading up to His creation.  He is the standard bearer.  You can be sure that because He went through difficulties, so shall we.  Where is life taking us?  What lies ahead?  I do not know.  God does.  I am just going to trust Him.  Let Him do His work.  I have said that each day of our life is but a brushstroke of a masterpiece in which God is painting called our life.  I am being a willing canvas to let God perform His great work within me.  Whatever plan God has ahead of us can only be better than our finite minds can imagine.  My future is unknown, but at least I know God.

No comments:

Post a Comment