Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas
Chris Thomas

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Comfort in the Cemetary


It’s hard to believe how much my father’s passing still affects me today.  During my extended stay in North Carolina, I took my 9 month old son to visit his graveside.  When the tombstone came into view, tears began to well into my eyes, much like it does every time I visit.  I clutched my son tightly to my chest and gazed at the ground before the tombstone where the casket lies beneath the brown dormant grass underneath the bright midday winter’s sun.  The memories of that eventful day that occurred over fourteen years ago is relived in vivid details like a movie screen in continuous play my mind.  The emotions of my soul were just as raw and real as they were that day on October 5th, the day he passed, and on October 9th, the day we was laid to rest in his final resting place also the day of his birthday.  He was my hero, my mentor, my fishing partner, my coach, my tutor, among many things and above all, he was my best friend.  I kissed my son on the cheek and he looked at me with his bright hazel blue eyes wide with curiosity.  As I gazed into his face, he flashed a goofy grin and buried his head into my shoulder.  My son.  I remembered fondly the last words of my father to me, two days before he passed:  “I am proud of you my son”.  Oh how I miss him after all these years.  The following day I returned to the cemetery alone.  My mother manages that cemetery and gave me permission for the usage of her office to study for the upcoming Sunday in the peace and quiet of her office alone.  As I began to read, I came across a verse.  After I read the verse, I gazed out onto the row of tombstones.  I could not see my father’s tomb but I knew it was there in the front corner on the far end of that cemetery.  The sun was still shining as bright as ever.  I reread the verses.  I closed the Bible and walked the distance to my father’s tomb with the Bible in hand.  I passed by the tombstones of many other people that I knew.  Some of them, the finest Christians I have known.  There was a little skip in my step as I quickened my pace to my father’s graveside.  I opened the Bible and read those verses to him aloud – “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.  Therefore comfort one another with these words.” (I Thessalonians 4:16-18)  No, I was not comforting my father.  For you see, he is already comforted in the eternal presence of the Savior.  I was comforting myself.  Reread those words closely.  Did you see what I see?  Oh what a sweet comforting thought those words offer to us.  “Together with them”.  Who are “them” that is being referred to here?  The ones who have passed on before us!  My hope!  My anticipation!  What a future to look forward to!  I will be reunited with my father!  But what makes that reunion even more special is that together we will meet the Lord and forever be in His glorious and wonderful presence!  How exciting!  Is there someone who has passed on before you?  A saint?  Someone who is near and dear to you?  A child of God?  Spouse?  Parent?  Children?  Friend?  There is hope in knowing that one day soon, we will reunite with them as we are caught up together to meet the Lord and forever be in His presence.  These are not just mere words mind you, but an assuring promise of God for you and I who may still be grieving or struggling with the loss of a loved one.  Comfort each other with these words.

No comments:

Post a Comment